This is day fourteen of the 21 Day Fitness Challenge. One week to go!!! Today the weather was nice and I enjoyed walking out in it. I walked for a nice period of time and may have to take it easy due to a mishap that took place about a month ago when I cut my foot on a piece of glass while running barefoot in the rain. Yeah, I know right. 😉 So anyway I noticed after a lot of foot activity I experience tenderness and discomfort in the injured area. However, I have all intentions to continue enjoying these beautiful autumn days on foot. I’m even going to purchase a pedometer to help me keep track of daily steps and motivate me to take even more! Listen to me, making statements that sound like I’m starting to become a bit more vested in this lifestyle than I ever thought…Oh how wonderful that would be 😉 There were no challenges faced on today I was able to start my walk this morning which was nice yet ironic in that I was having challenges at first in keeping my morning workout routines until I set my schedule as open and flexible. And now it seems I’m having no problems keeping up with the A.M. Schedule. So funny, I’m interested to see how long it will last;-)
Day 14 – Good To Know
I’ve listed some important tips for walking from an article on the Huffingtonpost.com website below:
- Always warm up before you start race walking for exercise. You might think “walking….what’s the big deal?” But it is a big deal and you should warm up to get the blood flowing.
- When you walk, think about standing as tall as possible, lifting the base of the skull to the sky and not the chin. Your chest should be lifted and your jaw should be nice and relaxed.
- As you walk, take small quick steps. Let the heel of each step fall just in front of the toe of the previous step. This will give you a much smaller, faster stride.
- Use a heart monitor to gauge your exertion level. If you want to increase your heart rate, try an incline, faster steps, or greater arm movement, even working to take the arms over head as you walk.
If you are just starting out, be conservative. Try the small step, quick pace idea but move a little slower than you might like. You’re going to feel a whole bunch of muscles you never knew you had and you don’t want to shoot yourself out of a cannon.
How did Things Go For You?
1. How did it go for you today? What fitness routine or activity did you complete?
2. Were you able to meet your fitness goals for today? If not what was your challenge and what will you do to overcome it?
3. How did you feel after your fitness work-out or activity?